יום שני, 28 בנובמבר 2011

eating a muffin

The final stages of projects can be really dull. Pareto's rule, the law of the vital few, can be a good explanation. After all, most of the job has already been done, and now we come near the finishing touches. As exciting as they may be, in long term projects, most of the excitement has already been used, and it is hard to regain that "here comes the end!" feeling for the hundredth time.

This intro probably explains how I found myself, while verifying a punctuation rule regarding English commas,  enchanted by the way some grammatical examples could also shed a light on literary techniques.
The objective - depict a father eating a muffin.
The possibilities (to be shortly demonstrated, quoted with slight variations from Wikipedia) are endless:
  • Once upon a time, my father ate a muffin.
  • My father ate the muffin, damn!
  • My father, if you don’t mind me telling you this, ate the muffin.
  • Sad and bitter, my father ate the muffin.
  • My father, his eyes flashing with rage, ate the muffin.
  • Chewing with bridled fury, my father ate the muffin.
  • My father ate the muffin, a muffin which no man had yet chewed.
  • "It is topless !", cried my father as he ate the remains of the muffin. 
  • My father ate the muffin, a feat which no man had attempted.
  • "I'll help you with your muffin top!", suggested my father as he snatched my muffin and ate it. 
You can find many more meaningful combinations of fathers and muffins surfing the net

And before I finish, just in case you happen to be one of those who disregard punctuation: did you know that "James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher" can be punctuated in a way that will make it a sound English sentence ? 

2 Hints, so you will not feel cheated: 

  1. This sentence refers to two students, James and John, who are required by an English test to describe a man who, in the past, had suffered from a cold. John writes "The man had a cold" which the teacher marks as being incorrect, while James writes the correct "The man had had a cold." Since James' answer was right, it had had a better effect on the teacher.
  2. The following punctuation marks (in the following line, marked in bold) should be used:
 , " " , " " ; " "  . 
The solution ? if you feel desperate, mark the following text (currently in white):
James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.


תגובה 1: