יום ראשון, 27 בנובמבר 2011

a song of bereavement

a song of bereavement 
The "bereavement family" is a phrase used (in some parts of the world), in regards to the loving relatives of persons who have lost their lives in combat, during military service or as a result of a terror attack, and as a description of those relatives existential state of mourning. Poems written by a bereaved father, dealing with the present absence of his dead son in his daily routine and in his night dreams, insinuating the parent's deeply-restrained feelings, were the cause for this poem, in relation to that father, a member in my "extended family". This is a rather awkward translation of a poem published previously in Hebrew on this blog, but I suspect that similarly to the famous limitations of translating humor, there are limitations regarding the translation of grief. 

Sometimes,
in various relations,
one hears that hated phrase
that of the "bereavement family".

Bereavement,
as we all know,
does not create families. Far from it. Actually -
quite the opposite.

But when I read some of the bereaved father's poems,
I felt,
after the sensation of the blow of his bereavement,
and after the backlash,
that of my own ongoing repression of my own bereavement,
I felt,
that not less than he is, his dead Son's Father, he is my Brother.

What is heart feels -
I know.  

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה